Suffer In Silence

don't suffer alone….

When a relationship ends?

People to tell

It is important to tell the right people and organisations when you have split up. Here is a list to get you started.

Your mortgage lender or landlord
Find out what your rights are to stay in the property and any options you have first. Contact the Gingerbread Single Parent Helpline or Shelter for advice.

Jobcentre Plus
If you claim benefits from Jobcentre Plus tell them about your change in circumstances. You may be able to claim new benefits.

HM Revenue and Customs
If you claim tax credits you need to tell HMRC immediately about your change in circumstances. You may be able to make a new claim for tax credits or receive more.

Your local council
If you receive housing benefit or council tax benefit, tell your local council about your change in circumstances. You may be able to make a claim for the first time.

Council tax
Tell the council tax department at your local council if you are the only adult in your property. You should get a 25% reduction on your council tax bill.

Your bank
Sort out joint accounts and credit cards.

Utility companies
Tell your gas, electricity, water and telephone company. You may need to change the name on the bill. Take meter readings and use these to negotiate payment with your ex-partner. Ask your supplier for their policy on dealing with joint debts when a couple has separated. Some may reduce the bill if there are fewer people in the household.

Insurance companies
For example, home, car or life insurance policies may need to be notified of the change.

Your employer
If the person who should be contacted in an emergency has changed.

Private pension companies
If relevant, you may wish to change the name of a nominated beneficiary in the event of your death.

Your children’s school
To help teachers understand any unusual behaviour and so they can tell you if your child experiences difficulties. Tell the school if the person who collects your child changes. They will also need contact details for both parents in case of emergency and to send reports etc. It will help if you can make clear decisions with your ex-partner about how each of you will be involved with the school.

Your GP, dentist and other health professionals
You may need to change the details of the person who is notified about appointments or contacted in case of emergency.

TV licensing authority
If you have a TV, you will need to tell them about changes to ownership or address.

Tell the Driver Vehicle Licencing Authority if you have a vehicle and there is a change of ownership or address.

Post Office
If necessary, you can ask the Post Office to redirect your mail. There is a charge for this service.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.