Suffer In Silence

don't suffer alone….

Unmarried Fathers Legal Rights

An unmarried father has few legal rights with regard to his children unless he has a legally binding Parental Responsibility Agreement or a Parental Responsibility Order. He does have the right to make applications for contact etc. through the court.
“Married or not, you do not have any rights to your child, you have responsibilities. Your child has the right to grow up with the love and care of both parents. It is your responsibility to protect the rights of your child”.
An unmarried father who jointly signs the birth register with the mother from 1st December 2003 now has Parental Responsibility. This does not apply to children born before the legislation was passed, although it is a common misconception.
An unmarried father without Parental Responsibility has no right to act on the child’s behalf (except in emergency) or to be consulted over which school the child attends, which religion, if any, (s)he is brought up in, what medical treatment (s)he receives, what name (s)he is known by, or whether (s)he is put up for adoption. An unmarried father cannot get a passport for the child or access official documents or school/medical records. He remains liable to pay the Child Support Agency on demand and may have money deducted from his wages.


Parental responsibility

What is parental responsibility?
All mothers and most fathers have legal rights and responsibilities as a parent – known as ‘parental responsibility’.

If you have parental responsibility, your most important roles are to:

provide a home for the child
protect and maintain the child
If you have parental responsibility for a child you don’t live with, you don’t necessarily have a right to contact with them – but the other parent still needs to keep you updated about their well-being and progress.

You’re also responsible for:

disciplining the child
choosing and providing for the child’s education
agreeing to the child’s medical treatment
naming the child and agreeing to any change of name
looking after the child’s property
Parents have to ensure that their child is supported financially, whether they have parental responsibility or not.



3 thoughts on “Unmarried Fathers Legal Rights

  1. I just want to tell you that I am just very new to weblog and truly savored your web blog. Most likely I’m going to bookmark your blog . You definitely come with excellent stories. Many thanks for sharing with us your webpage.

  2. hey admin discovered your site via search engine but it was hard to find and I see you could have more visitors because there are not so many comments yet. I have discovered website which offer to dramatically increase traffic to your blog they claim they managed to get close to 4000 visitors/day using their services you could also get lot more targeted traffic from search engines as you have now. I used their services and got significantly more visitors to my website. Hope this helps 🙂 They offer most cost effective services to increase website traffic at this website

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *