Suffer In Silence

don't suffer alone….

What should I do if I have been Raped or Sexually Assaulted ?

Understand that this was not your fault. There was nothing you could have done to prevent the assault.  Nothing you did gave anyone the right to do this. The fault lies entirely with the person who raped or sexually assaulted you.

Firstly, it is important you tell someone as soon as possible and not keep it to yourself. Telling someone what has happened means that you can get the support you need. The person you do talk to should be someone that you trust and feel comfortable with. You may choose to tell: a friend, parent, G.P or a school teacher.

You can also speak to the police. Most police forces have specially trained police offi cers. You can contact the police immediately by dialling 999.

When you talk to the police you will need to give them as much information, about the assault, as possible, such as what happened, where and when. If you know who assaulted you, tell the police who they are and how you know them. What you tell the police will be recorded in writing or on video and might be used as evidence if your case goes to court.

The police understand how distressing it can be to talk about an assault and will take things slowly. An adult that you trust and feel comfortable with can also support you whilst you are talking to the police.

You might be given the option to go to a sexual assault referral centre, or SARC. Specialist doctors will ask you about what happened and then examine your body to try and find evidence of what happened to you. Before you go for the examination, try not to shower, wash your clothes, go to the loo (although this may be difficult) or have a drink. Doing so could get rid of evidence, which might be helpful in a police investigation.

The most important thing they do at a SARC is to make sure that you are okay. They will advise you about how to deal with a possible pregnancy, check you for sexually transmitted infections, and sort out treatment if you have caught anything. They can also arrange for you to get support from local services.

The police will talk to you about how a criminal charge can be brought against the person who assaulted you and how they will try and get your case to court.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.