If you’re not the mother, you can apply to court to get parental responsibility.

You need to be connected to the child, eg as their father, step-parent or second female parent.

More than 2 people can have parental responsibility for the same child.

Sign a parental responsibility agreement

If you’re a father who wants parental responsibility and the mother agrees, fill in a parental responsibility agreement.

Take the agreement to your local county court or family proceedings court, where it can be signed and witnessed.

Also take the child’s birth certificate and proof of your identity, like a passport or driving licence.

Send 2 copies of the form to the address below:

Principal Registry of the Family Division
First Avenue House
42-49 High Holborn

Apply for a court order

If you want parental responsibility but can’t agree on arrangements with the mother, you can apply for a court order.

A court order costs £200.

You may be able to get help with court fees if you’re on benefits or a low income.

Details for form C1
Form title Application for an order. (Children Act)Form category Children Act Language English Last modified April 2010

Download c001-eng.pdf (PDF 273KB)